CVE-106 U.S.S. Anfangsbucht - Geschichte

CVE-106 U.S.S. Anfangsbucht - Geschichte


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Startbucht

Eine Bucht von Puget Sound, in der Nähe von Tacoma, Wash.

(CVE 106; dp. 11,373; 1.677'1"; T. 75'; ew. 105'2";
DR. 32'; S. 19 K.; kpl. 1.066; A. 2 5"; cl. Beginn
Bucht)

Die Commencement Bay (CVE-106) wurde am 9. Mai 1944 von der Seattle Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Washington, vom Stapel gelassen; gesponsert von Frau F. Eves; und in Auftrag gegeben 27. November 1944, Kapitän R. L. Bowman im Kommando.

Die Commencement Bay meldete sich am 1. Februar 1945 in Seattle für den Dienst als Schulschiff im Puget Sound bis zum 2. Oktober. Während dieser Zeit bildete sie 545 Offiziere und 5.053 Mann von Vorkommissionsbesatzungen für Schwester-Eskortträger aus und qualifizierte 249 Piloten von acht Luftgruppen für Trägerstarts und -landungen. Sie segelte am 21. Oktober 1945 von Bremerton aus und kam am 4. und 1. November in Pearl Harbor zur Ausbildung und zur Durchführung von Trägerqualifikationen an, bis sie am 27. November nach Seattle und Tacoma segelte.

Nach Besuchen in Los Angeles und San Pedro kehrte sie am 28. Januar nach Tacoma zurück, wo sie am 30. November 1946 außer Dienst gestellt wurde. Sie wurde am 12. Juni 1955 in CVHE-106 umklassifiziert; und AKV-37, 7. Mai 1959.


USS-Startbucht (CVE-105)

|module= Karriere (USA) Name: USS StartbuchtErbauer: Todd Pacific ShipyardsEingestellt: 9. Mai 1944In Dienst gestellt: 27. November 1944Ausser Dienst gestellt: 30. November 1946Neu klassifiziert: Hubschrauberträger CVHE-105, 12. Juni 1955
Frachtschiff und Flugzeugfähre, AKV-37, 7. Mai 1959Schicksal: Verschrottet irgendwann nach 1971 |module2= Allgemeine Eigenschaften Klasse und Typ: Startbucht-Klasse Begleitträger>Verdrängung: 10.900 lange Tonnen (11.100 t) Ώ] Länge: 557 ft (170 m)Breite: 75 ft (23 m)Entwurf: 30 ft 6 in ( 9.30 m)Antrieb: 2-Wellen-Getriebeturbinen, 16.000 ShpGeschwindigkeit: 19 Knoten (22 mph 35 km/h)Ergänzung: 1.066Bewaffnung: • 2 × 5 in (130 mm) Geschütze (2×1)
• 36 × 40 mm FlakGeschütze Mitgeführte Flugzeuge: 34 |> USS Startbucht (CVE-105) (Ex-St. Joseph Bay), das Leitschiff ihrer Klasse, war ein Begleit- und später Hubschrauberträger der United States Navy, der meist als Schulschiff eingesetzt wurde. Startbucht wurde am 9. Mai 1944 von Todd Pacific Shipyards, Tacoma, Washington, gestartet, gesponsert von Mrs. F. Eves und am 27. November 1944 in Dienst gestellt, Kapitän Roscoe Leroy Bowman im Kommando. Startbucht gemeldet in Seattle am 1. Februar 1945 für den Dienst als Schulschiff im Puget Sound bis zum 2. Oktober. Während dieser Zeit bildete sie 545 Offiziere und 5.053 Mann der Vorkommissionsbesatzungen für Schwester-Eskortträger aus und qualifizierte 249 Piloten von acht Luftgruppen für Trägerstarts und -landungen. Sie segelte von Bremerton am 21. Oktober 1945 und kam am 4. November in Pearl Harbor zum Training und zur Durchführung von Trägerqualifikationen bis zum Segeln am 27. November nach Seattle und Tacoma an. Nach Besuchen in Los Angeles und San Pedro kehrte sie am 28. Januar nach Tacoma zurück, wo sie am 30. November 1946 außer Dienst gestellt wurde. Sie wurde neu klassifiziert CVHE-105, 12. Juni 1955 und AKV-37, 7. Mai 1959.


HistoryLink.org

Beginnend in den späten 1880er Jahren und jahrzehntelang wurde das Delta, wo der Puyallup River auf die Commencement Bay trifft, ausgebaggert und gefüllt, um den Bedarf der Schifffahrt und der Industrie zu decken. Im Jahr 1908 baute die Milwaukee Road, eine der innovativsten Eisenbahngesellschaften des Landes, aber erst spät am Puget Sound, einen 1.500 Fuß langen Holzeisenbahnbock durch das sumpfige Deltaland. Dies sollte eine Verbindung zu den Gleisen der Tacoma Eastern Railroad, die die Milwaukee Road gekauft hatte, um Fracht zu ihrer neuen transkontinentalen Hauptstrecke zu leiten, und den Zugang zum ehemaligen Tacoma Eastern-Personenbahnhof und dem Frachthaus in der Nähe der Innenstadt bieten. Geplagt von absetzendem Boden und grassierender Fäulnis, benötigte der Bock ständige Wartung und Reparatur und wurde 1937 durch eine Spannweite ersetzt, die als S-Curve-Trestle (manchmal auch Tacoma-Trestle genannt) bekannt wurde. Auch diese musste häufig repariert werden und wurde 1962 fast vollständig wieder aufgebaut. 1980 war die Milwaukee Road bankrott und hatte den gesamten Zugverkehr westlich von Montana eingestellt. Im Jahr 2000 begann Sounder S-Bahn-Service von Sound Transit zwischen Tacoma und Seattle, und im Jahr 2003 begannen seine Züge mit dem S-Curve Trestle und teilen sich die eingleisige Strecke mit Tacoma Rail. Im Jahr 2012 wurde festgestellt, dass der Bock für die Aufnahme in das National Register of Historic Places in Frage kommt, aber er wurde weder nominiert noch aufgeführt. Es wurde 2017 abgerissen und soll später im Jahr durch einen neuen, zweigleisigen Bock ersetzt werden.

Bevor es für Industrie und Schifffahrt ausgebaggert und verfüllt wurde, wurde das Delta, wo der Puyallup River in die Commencement Bay mündet, regelmäßig von Überschwemmungen überschwemmt und mit Schlamm bedeckt, der den Fluss hinunter und durch die Gezeiten gebracht wurde. Mitglieder des Puyallup-Stammes hatten viele Jahrhunderte lang in mehreren Dörfern rund um die Bucht und an verstreuten Orten gelebt, die bis zu 24 Kilometer flussaufwärts reichten. Aber das Delta selbst war nicht für das tägliche Leben geeignet, wie der beschreibende Name Puyallups für Teile davon beweist - "Boden überflutet oder trocken je nach Gezeiten" ("Cultural Resources Report"). Der nächste archäologische Beweis für ein dauerhaftes Ureinwohnerdorf stammt aus der Zeit vor etwa 2.000 Jahren und stammt von einer Stelle, die etwa eine Meile östlich des S-Curve Trestle der Milwaukee Road liegt.

Die britische Hudson's Bay Company eröffnete 1833 Fort Nisqually, mischte sich jedoch kaum in die Puyallups ein und begnügte sich damit, sie in das umfangreiche Handelsnetz der Firma einzubeziehen. Die Ankunft einer wachsenden Zahl von dauerhaften, nicht-indischen Siedlern nach 1845 führte zu Bemühungen, die Puyallups von einem Großteil ihres Landes zu trennen. Diese gipfelten im Medicine-Creek-Vertrag von 1854, der den Stamm in ein 1.280 Hektar großes Reservat verbannte. Als im folgenden Jahr die Vertragskriege ausbrachen, schlossen sich viele Puyallups dem Kampf gegen die Regierung an, und mehr als 500 Stammesmitglieder wurden zusammengetrieben und auf die Insel Squaxin im Puget Sound eingesperrt.

Das Schicksal des Stammes sollte sich wieder wenden, nachdem der Frieden wiederhergestellt war und die Präsidentenbefehle in den Jahren 1857 und 1873 das Reservat auf mehr als 18.000 Hektar erweiterten. Der größte Teil dieses Landes wurde später in Transaktionen, die in vielen Fällen rechtlich und moralisch fragwürdig waren, an Nicht-Eingeborene verkauft. Nach jahrelangen Kämpfen begleichte der Stamm 1989 seine Landansprüche gegen die Bundesregierung, den Staat Washington, die Stadt und den Hafen von Tacoma und eine Reihe von Privatunternehmen für insgesamt 162 Millionen US-Dollar.

Warten auf einen Zug

Die frühen nicht-indianischen Gemeinden in der Region Puget Sound nutzten die Wasserwege als Transportmittel, ebenso wie die Indianer. Es entwickelte sich ein ausgedehnter Küstendampferhandel, aber es fehlten Landtransportverbindungen mit dem Rest der Nation oder auch zwischen den lokalen Gemeinschaften. Dafür wurden Gleise und Züge benötigt, Eisenbahnen waren der notwendige Begleiter der industriellen Entwicklung des Westens.

Die erste transkontinentale Route, eine Zusammenarbeit zwischen den Eisenbahnen Union Pacific und Central Pacific, wurde im Mai 1869 fertiggestellt und verband Nordkalifornien mit der Ostküste. Im Nordwesten stiegen die Hoffnungen, dass der Nordpazifik eine transkontinentale Verbindung zum Puget Sound bieten würde. Im Jahr 1873 wurde Tacoma zum zukünftigen Puget Sound-Endbahnhof der Eisenbahn gesalbt, eine Entscheidung, die Seattles selbstbewusste Booster zerstörte. Für Tacomans war es ein kurzlebiger Sieg, und selbst der verzögerte sich lange – der Nordpazifik brauchte bis 1883 volle 10 Jahre, um eine transkontinentale Linie zu knüpfen, und um nach Tacoma zu gelangen, war immer noch eine Zug-Fähre-Überfahrt erforderlich des Columbia River bei Kalama. Inzwischen war klar, dass Seattle das Handelszentrum von West-Washington sein würde, und 1887 hatte die Northern Pacific ihre Endstation nach Norden in die Stadt an der Elliott Bay verlegt. Eine andere transkontinentale Linie, die Great Northern, beendete 1893 die Verlegung von Gleisen von St. Paul, Minnesota, nach Everett und führte eine Linie von dort nach Süden nach Seattle und weiter nach Tacoma über Gleise, die vom Northern Pacific gepachtet wurden.

Obwohl die Northern Pacific und die Great Northern ihren Hauptsitz anderswo haben, bauten sie in Tacoma umfangreiche Schifffahrts- und Lagereinrichtungen. Seit 1887 wurde daran gearbeitet, das Wattenmeer von Commencement Bay für die Industrie nutzbar zu machen, und die Eisenbahnen schlossen sich an, gruben Wasserstraßen aus und füllten sumpfige Feuchtgebiete in dem Gebiet, das der Nordpazifik "New Tacoma" genannt hatte. Im Laufe der Jahre wurde ein beträchtliches Industrie- und Hafengebiet geschaffen, das Kais, Lagerhallen und andere Einrichtungen umfasste, die für den Umschlag von Gütern und Materialien erforderlich waren, die mit der Bahn ankamen und per Schiff verlassen wurden oder umgekehrt. Die industrielle Entwicklung hat die natürlichen Feuchtgebiete des Puyallup-Flussdeltas radikal verändert.

Züge und Böcke

Lokomotiven des frühen 20. Jahrhunderts wogen oft mehr als 200 Tonnen und transportierten häufig Dutzende schwer beladener Güterwagen. Die Tausenden von Brücken und Böcken, die gebaut wurden, um Lücken im Gelände zu überbrücken, mussten das hohe Gewicht und die dynamischen Kräfte der Züge, die sie überquerten, tragen können. Vor der weit verbreiteten Verwendung von Stahl und Beton machte die schnelle Verfügbarkeit von großformatigen Hölzern Holz zum am häufigsten verwendeten Material, insbesondere für Böcke.

Böcke gibt es in zwei Varianten – Rahmen und Stapel. Bei Rahmenböcken sitzen die einzelnen Bögen (die vertikalen Strukturen, die das Straßenbett tragen) auf einer vorbereiteten Unterlage, die selbst auf einem Fundament aus Pfählen oder Mauerwerk ruht. Der Hauptvorteil eines Rahmenbocks besteht darin, dass er auf nahezu jede Höhe gebaut werden kann. Pfahlböcke eignen sich eher für niedrige Überquerungen und um weiches oder sumpfiges Gelände zu überspannen. Ihre Hauptstützen werden tief in den Boden gerammt, aber das Straßenbett befindet sich selten mehr als 35 Fuß über dem Boden.

Der S-Curve Trestle in Tacoma wurde als Pfahlbock gebaut, die Wahl wurde durch den weichen Untergrund diktiert, den er überqueren musste. Pfahlböcke können mit einer variablen Anzahl von Hölzern gebaut werden, die in verschiedenen Winkeln in den Boden getrieben werden - der Mittelpfahl oder die Pfähle gerade nach unten und die auf beiden Seiten nach innen geneigt, was zu einer dreieckigen Biegung mit breiter Basis führt. Die einzelnen Pfähle jedes Bogens sind durch seitliche Verstrebungen miteinander verbunden, und Bögen sind oft in gleicher Weise miteinander verbunden.

Wenn alle Pfähle in einem Bogen so tief wie möglich gerammt wurden, werden ihre Spitzen eben geschnitten und mit einem großen, quer verlaufenden Holzbalken abgedeckt. Mehrere schwere Stringer (auch "Akkorde" genannt) werden dann in Längsrichtung auf die Kappen gelegt, die normalerweise mindestens zwei Biegungen überspannen, und versetzt angeordnet. Diese tragen Holzschwellen, an denen die Stahlschienen befestigt sind, auf denen die Züge fahren. Böcke haben eng beieinander liegende Biegungen, um sicherzustellen, dass das Setzen oder Versagen einer oder möglicherweise mehrerer nicht die gesamte Struktur instabil macht.

Der Slow March West der Milwaukee Road

Die Milwaukee Road wurde 1847 in Wisconsin als Milwaukee and Waukesha Railroad Company gegründet. Sein Betrieb weitete sich langsam nach Westen aus, aber für mehr als 50 Jahre erstreckten sich die Gleise nicht weiter als North Dakota. Schließlich beschloss die Eisenbahn im Jahr 1905, unterstützt von Rockefeller-Interessen, ihr System auszubauen, um den Puget Sound zu erreichen, und es sollte die letzte transkontinentale Linie in Amerika werden. Die ursprünglich Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul genannte Eisenbahn wollte einen Teil des Handels mit Baumstämmen und Holzprodukten erobern. Andere Überlegungen waren der ausgezeichnete Hafen von Commencement Bay und die Tatsache, dass die Great Northern und die Northern Pacific die Seattle Waterfront bereits ziemlich gut angebunden hatten.

Die Milwaukee Road führte bald nach Westen, kaufte oder pachtete Gleise von lokalen Eisenbahngesellschaften und legte eigene neue Gleise. Ziel war es, eine 2.200-Meilen-Route (gemessen von Chicago) nach Tacoma und Seattle zu schaffen, wobei sich die Linien zu den beiden Puget Sound-Städten an der Black River Junction trennen. Züge müssten fünf Gebirgszüge überqueren – die Saddles, Belts, Rockies, Bitter Roots und Cascades. Einundfünfzig Tunnel wurden benötigt und eine weitaus größere Anzahl von Brücken und Böcken.

Ein Jahr bevor die Milwaukee Road ankommen sollte, war die Geschäftswelt von Tacoma damit beschäftigt, die lokale Begeisterung zu wecken. Im April 1908 veröffentlichte die Handelskammer und das Gewerbeamt der Stadt eine ganzseitige Anzeige in Sunset-Magazin. Ein Anwalt der Eisenbahngesellschaft zitiert, versprach er:

„Die Pläne der Chicago, Milwaukee und St. Paul sehen eine größere Entwicklung in Tacoma vor, als die Leute sich vorstellen können. Hier wird das Geschäft der Straße erledigt Tacoma und diese Stadt werden die größten westlichen Terminals der Straße haben." ("Tacoma Traffic Center.").

Tacoma . erreichen

In einer Demonstration brillanter Ingenieurskunst und effizienter Konstruktion wurden alle Lücken auf der Strecke von Chicago nach Puget Sound in nur drei Jahren geschlossen. Am 19. Mai 1909 wurde die letzte Spitze der letzten transkontinentalen Eisenbahn des Landes in einer zurückhaltenden Zeremonie westlich von Garrison, Montana, gefahren. Die Eisenbahn verkehrte zunächst zwischen Tacoma und Malden, und der erste Personenzug, der den Bock überquerte, verließ Tacoma am 14. Juni 1909. Der erste Güterverkehr begann ebenfalls im Juni 1909 und der Durchgangsverkehr zwischen Chicago und Tacoma begann am 4. Juli. 1909. Im Mai 1911 begann die Milwaukee Road, Passagiere die gesamte Strecke von Chicago nach Tacoma und Seattle auf ihrer neuen Ganzstahlstraße zu befördern olympisch und Kolumbianisch Züge. Die Eisenbahn nutzte das Passagierdepot der Tacoma Eastern Railroad an der 26th Avenue und A Street.

Bevor die Hauptstrecke nach Tacoma nach der Abzweigung bei Black River Junction den Puyallup River erreichte, teilte sie sich bei Tacoma Junction erneut. Ein Gleis führte nordwestlich zum Milwaukee Waterway in der Commencement Bay, wo die beeindruckenden Schifffahrtsanlagen des Unternehmens gebaut worden waren. Der andere überquerte den Puyallup River und fuhr fast genau nach Westen zum riesigen Frachthaus des Unternehmens auf dem gefüllten Wattenmeer und dem Passagierdepot Tacoma Eastern etwa 2.000 Fuß weiter westlich. Die Gleise durchquerten ein niedriges, sumpfiges Gebiet, das in der Nähe der Kreuzung der Straßen E 25th und East K begann. Vieles davon war bereits 1908 ausgebaggert, verfüllt und erschlossen, aber der Boden blieb instabil und schlecht verdichtet und ein Bock war erforderlich, um Züge darüber zu transportieren. Im Vergleich zu anderen solchen Bauwerken entlang der 2.200-Meilen-Strecke der Eisenbahn wäre dieses weder besonders hoch noch besonders lang, aber seine Lage auf instabilem, nassem und schlecht verdichtetem Boden erschwerte den Bau und beeinträchtigte seine Stabilität und Haltbarkeit. Ein zeitgenössischer Bericht der Milwaukee Road stellte fest:

"Das Land zwischen der K- und der G-Straße [das Gebiet, das von dem Bock überspannt werden soll] war sehr sumpfig und auf der Aufschüttung an dieser Stelle hat es erhebliche Setzungen und Setzungen gegeben. Das Grundstück war zum Zeitpunkt des Kaufs größtenteils mit Gebäuden bedeckt, die mit erheblichem Aufwand verlegt oder dem Erdboden gleichgemacht. Es war notwendig, die Straßen- und Straßenkreuzungen zu sanieren und die Bürgersteige, wo sie angetroffen wurden, neu zu errichten. Die Straße vor dem Güterhaus und den Mannschaftsgleisen wurde umgebaut, um diese Einrichtungen aufzunehmen" ("Historischer Inventarbericht") .

Der Original Milwaukee Straßenbock

Es gibt nur wenige Informationen über die genauen Details des Bocks der Milwaukee Road von 1908, aber er wurde als "eine Reihe von niedrigen Holzpfahl- und Rahmenbrücken und hochgradigen Gleisen" (Sullivan) beschrieben. Es verlief von der nahen East K Street bis zum Güterhaus der Eisenbahn, das zur gleichen Zeit an der E 25th Street zwischen East D und East G Street gebaut wurde. Der Bock war eine schwierige Baukonstruktion aus dem Jahr 1908 zu einem guten Preis" (Sullivan).

Nach der Fertigstellung war der Bock ein Wartungsalbtraum. Das Gewicht und die Vibrationen der Züge, die die Spannweite überquerten, drückten die Stützpfähle tiefer in den Boden, wodurch die Gleise durchhängen. Erschwerend kommt hinzu, dass die ständige Anwesenheit von Bodenfeuchtigkeit die Fäulnis begünstigt. Nahezu kontinuierliche Reparaturen und Erneuerungen waren notwendig, um den Bock betriebsbereit zu halten, und Mitte der 1930er Jahre wurde der Eisenbahn klar, dass es am besten war, einfach von vorne zu beginnen.

Der ursprüngliche S-Kurvenbock (1937)

Bis 1937 hatten die schlimmsten Auswirkungen der Weltwirtschaftskrise nachgelassen, die Eisenbahnen erfreuten sich eines erhöhten Fracht- und Personenverkehrs, und als der Krieg in Europa heranrückte, wurde die Uferpromenade von Tacoma zu einem wichtigen Umschlagplatz für das US-Militär und Fort Lewis, das nur wenige Meilen von der Süd. Die Milwaukee Road entschied, dass es an der Zeit war, den Tacoma Trestle durch einen mit größerer Höhe und stabilerer Unterstützung zu ersetzen. Der neue Holzbock mit offenem Deck würde ungefähr 1.530 Fuß lang sein, zwischen den Straßen E 25. und E 26. liegen und sich von ungefähr der East K Street bis zum Frachthaus der Milwaukee Road an der East G Street erstrecken. Ein kurzes Stück dahinter verliefen die Schienen nach Süden und zweigten in Linien nach Morton, Hoquiam, Raymond und Longview ab

Es wurden große Pfähle verwendet, von denen einige bis zu 10 Zoll im Quadrat und 85 Fuß lang waren. Die einzelnen Biegungen waren entlang des größten Teils der Länge des Gerüsts etwa 16 Fuß voneinander entfernt, aber es gab eine ununterbrochene Spannweite von 54 Fuß aus genieteten Stahl-I-Trägern über den Northern Pacific Tracks zwischen East J und K Street (bekannt als die "Brauereiüberfahrt". ) und eine ähnliche, aber längere Stahlspannweite von 82 Fuß, wo der Bock am anderen Ende eine Kreuzung in der Nähe der East G Street überquerte. Es gab auch drei Stellen, an denen schwere Hölzer verwendet wurden, um Lücken von weniger als 9 Metern zu überbrücken.

Die Pfähle, die zum Bau der Bögen verwendet wurden, bestanden aus kreosotierter Douglasie und wurden in den meisten Fällen bis zu einer Tiefe von 50 bis 55 Fuß gerammt. Es gab insgesamt 97 Bögen in neun verschiedenen Höhen, um die Unebenheiten des Geländes auszugleichen. Für die meisten Bögen wurde eine sechspfahle Konfiguration verwendet, wobei die beiden mittleren Pfähle direkt in den Boden getrieben wurden und die vier seitlichen Pfähle, zwei auf jeder Seite, schräg gerammt wurden, sodass sie nach oben geneigt waren. Die Breite der Biegungen an ihren Basen reichte von 16 bis 21 Fuß. Bei zwei Biegungen wurden jeweils nur fünf Pfähle verwendet, wobei einer der mittleren entfällt. Die einzelnen Krümmungen unterschieden sich außer den beiden stählernen Brückenabschnitten, auf sechs oder acht Holzlängsträgern (genannt "Stringer" oder "Sehnen"), die je nach Standort unterschiedlich groß waren, aber nie kleiner als waren, wurden Eisenbahnschwellen verlegt 10 Zoll mal 17 1/4 Zoll. Einige Bögen hatten vier diagonale Querstreben und zwei horizontale, andere nur zwei Diagonalen und eine einzige Horizontale.

Es gab eine signifikante Abweichung vom Pfad des ursprünglichen Bocks. Ungefähr 60 Meter westlich von seinem Ausgangspunkt in der Nähe der East K Street drehte sich die neue Struktur leicht nach Süden und hielt diese Abweichung für etwa 150 Meter aufrecht, bevor sie sich begradigte. Gemessen von der E 25th Street, die parallel zum Gleis verläuft, bewegte die Kurve die Schienen etwa 10 Meter südlich einer geraden Strecke. Es ist diese Eigenschaft, die dazu führte, dass die Struktur S-Curve Trestle genannt wurde, obwohl sie aus der Luft in der Tat ein sehr entspanntes "S" ist. Der genaue Grund für diese Abweichung von einer geraden Bahn ist heute nicht ersichtlich.

Der neue Bock war eine Verbesserung, löste aber nicht die zugrunde liegenden Probleme. Die Struktur setzte sich fort und verfiel weiter, und in den Jahren 1947, 1958 und 1960 waren große Pfahlersatzprojekte erforderlich. Eine Entgleisung im Jahr 1961 beschädigte das Straßenbett zwischen den Kurven 11 und 21. Im selben Jahr stellte die Milwaukee Road ihren transkontinentalen Personenverkehr ein sich auf den Güterverkehr zu konzentrieren. 1962 wurden 80 der 97 Bögen des S-Curve Trestle ersetzt, und 1976 ersetzten zusätzliche Arbeiten viele der Stringer und Eisenbahnschwellen.

Der S-Curve-Gestellbock wurde 1937 entworfen, um die schwereren Lokomotiven zu bewältigen, die damals eingesetzt wurden. Moderne Lokomotiven wiegen weniger und erzeugen geringere dynamische Kräfte und weniger Vibrationen als ältere Modelle. Als die neueren Motoren weit verbreitet wurden, verringerte sich die Absetzung der Böschungspfähle, und nach den großen Renovierungsarbeiten von 1962 überlebte die Spannweite mit bescheidenerer Instandhaltung, obwohl Holzfäule ein ernsthaftes und anhaltendes Problem blieb.

Der Milwaukee läuft aus der Straße

Die Milwaukee Road war vielleicht nicht die größte Eisenbahngesellschaft des Landes, aber eine der innovativsten. Die Great Northern hatte ihre Strecke bereits 1909 durch den Cascade Tunnel elektrifiziert, aber Ende 1916 begann die Milwaukee Road mit einer viel umfangreicheren Elektrifizierung, beginnend in Montana und Idaho. Die Arbeiten zur Elektrifizierung der Strecke von Othello, Washington, nach Tacoma begannen Anfang 1917 und wurden im März 1920 abgeschlossen. In Tacoma elektrifizierte die Eisenbahn die Strecke über den Bock bis zu ihrem Personenbahnhof für die Personenzüge und die Strecke zu ihrem Rangierbahnhof und Lokomotivladen auf dem Wattenmeer.

Die Elektrifizierung war mit erheblichen Vorlaufkosten verbunden, sparte jedoch auf lange Sicht Geld, indem reichlich und billig Wasserkraft aus Flüssen entlang des Weges gewonnen und über eisenbahngebaute Umspannwerke verteilt wurde. Es schützte die Passagiere auch vor der nicht unerheblichen Erstickungsgefahr im Tunnel durch Rauch und Abgase von Dampf- und Dieselmotoren. Schließlich würden insgesamt 656 Meilen, mehr als ein Viertel der Westroute der Milwaukee Road, elektrifiziert – 440 Meilen zwischen Harlowton, Montana und Avery, Idaho (die Anfang 1917 online gingen) und 216 Meilen zwischen Othello in Eastern Washington und Tacoma (die 1920 online gingen). Zusammen war es die längste elektrifizierte Zugstrecke der Welt. Aber erst 1927 erreichten die Oberleitungen des Unternehmens endlich Seattle.

Zu den anderen Verbesserungen, die die Milwaukee Road einführte oder frühzeitig eingeführt wurde, gehörten klimatisierte Personenwagen, gekühlte Güterwagen für verderbliche Waren, Hochgeschwindigkeits-Personenzüge und der Einsatz von Containerschiffen. Die Eisenbahn war während eines Großteils ihres Bestehens finanziell in Schwierigkeiten geraten, lief aber in den Jahren nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg und in den 1950er Jahren gut. Mit dem Wachstum des Flugverkehrs war der Personenverkehr der meisten Eisenbahnen mit Verlusten in Betrieb, und 1961 hörte die Milwaukee Road auf, Passagiere auf ihrem Tacoma/Seattle-to-Chicago zu transportieren. Das Unternehmen würde einen Großteil der nächsten zwei Jahrzehnte damit verbringen, das Eisenbahngeschäft durch Fusion oder Verkauf abzustoßen. Im Zuge dieser Bemühungen wurden notwendige Wartungsarbeiten verschoben, um die Bilanzen der Linie attraktiver zu machen.

1970 ging der Trend bei den Eisenbahnen zu einer stärkeren Konsolidierung, und in diesem Jahr fusionierten die Great Northern und die Northern Pacific zu Burlington Northern, was Skaleneffekte und andere Wettbewerbsvorteile brachte. Als Bedingung für die Genehmigung des Zusammenschlusses erhielt die Milwaukee Road jedoch Zugang nach Portland und profitierte zeitweise vom erhöhten Güterverkehr. Leider haben ihn die Jahre der verzögerten Wartung bald eingeholt. Das Gleis und die Gleise, auf denen die Züge fuhren, begannen auszufallen, was langsamere Geschwindigkeiten erforderlich machte und häufige Verspätungen verursachte. Frachtpläne wurden eher beratend als tatsächlich, und Verlader flohen. Entgleisungen wurden erschreckend häufig während einer besonders schlimmen Phase, auf Abschnitten der Hauptstrecke durch Montana kam es im Durchschnitt zu einer Entgleisung pro Tag. Auf einigen Strecken, insbesondere in den Bergen, konnten die Züge nicht schneller als 10 mph fahren. Defekte Geräte wurden oft eher geparkt als repariert. Schließlich, am 19. Dezember 1977, beantragte die Milwaukee Road, knapp an Ausrüstung, knapp an Geld und gespickt mit Tausenden von Kilometern sich verschlechternder Gleise und Tausenden Tonnen alter oder kaputter Ausrüstung, beim Bundeskonkursgericht in Chicago eine Reorganisation.

Das Insolvenzverfahren war lang und umstritten. Gewerkschaften, Spediteure und Gemeinden entlang der Eisenbahnstrecke kämpften gegen ihre Forderung, ihre Westoperationen zu schließen. Aber am 31. Januar 1980 stimmte die Interstate Commerce Commission dafür, dass die Milwaukee Road alle Linien zwischen Miles City, Montana und Seattle-Tacoma verlassen darf. Der Dienst wurde innerhalb eines Monats eingestellt, und die Vermögenswerte der Eisenbahn westlich von Montana wurden stückweise verkauft oder einfach aufgegeben. Sea-Land Services Inc., ein riesiges Schifffahrtsunternehmen, erhielt einen Großteil des Grundstücks und der Einrichtungen in der Commencement Bay der Eisenbahn.

Als das Unternehmen schließlich aus dem Konkurs hervorging, war es eine reine Midwest-Linie, und selbst diese wurde 1985 von der Soo-Linie übernommen. Die alte Milwaukee Road gab es nicht mehr und würde es nie wieder geben, aber der S-Curve Trestle, den sie fast 50 Jahre zuvor in Tacoma gebaut hatte, stand immer noch. Die Stadt Tacoma übernahm es schließlich, und 1998 begann das Tacoma Rail-System, den Bock als Teil seiner Mountain Division-Linie zu verwenden.

Hallo an Sound Transit

Die lange und komplizierte Geschichte der Bemühungen um die Schaffung eines regionalen Nahverkehrssystems liegt außerhalb des Rahmens dieses Aufsatzes. Es genügt zu sagen, dass die Grafschaften Snohomish, Pierce und King nach Jahren der Kontroversen, Debatten und Fehlstarts im September 1993 eine Regional Transit Authority (RTA) gründeten. Im Oktober 1994 verabschiedete die Behörde einen Regionalen Transitplan, der jedoch im darauffolgenden März von den Wählern abgeschossen wurde. Es folgten mehr als ein Jahrzehnt der Planung und des Studiums, und im Mai 1996 versuchte es die Behörde erneut und schlug "Sound Move" vor, einen 10-Jahres-Plan, um Everett, Seattle, Tacoma und die dazwischen liegenden Punkte per S-Bahn zu verbinden. Im August 1996 übernahm die RTA die Bezeichnung „Sound Transit“ für das Gesamtsystem und „Sounder“ für den geplanten regionalen S-Bahn-Verkehr. Der Plan fand schließlich bei den Wahlen im November 1996 die Zustimmung der Wähler.

Die Weyerhaeuser Company übernahm einen Großteil der Strecke der bankrotten Milwaukee Road in der Nähe der Commencement Bay, einschließlich des S-Curve Trestle. In den späten 1990er Jahren wurden die Gleise an Tacoma Public Works verkauft, die wiederum eine Vereinbarung mit Tacoma Rail über die Nutzung und Wartung der Strecke durch letztere schlossen und später die Gleise und den Bock mit den Sounder-Pendlerzügen von Sound Transit teilten. Am 18. September 2000 verließ der erste regelmäßig verkehrende Nahverkehrszug zwischen Tacoma und Seattle einen provisorischen Bahnsteig, der sich westlich des Amtrak-Bahnhofs Tacoma an der Portland Avenue befand. Eine halbe Stunde später fuhr ein zweiter Zug ab, und die beiden kehrten den Kurs für den abendlichen Pendelverkehr zurück nach Tacoma um. Die Gesamtzahl der Fahrgäste betrug an diesem ersten Tag etwa 1.100.

Als sich der Autoverkehr für den morgendlichen und abendlichen Pendlerverkehr verschlechterte, wuchs die Popularität des S-Bahn-Senders Sounder. Im Jahr 2002 wurde ein dritter Zug in den Fahrplan aufgenommen und im September 2003 wurde die Tacoma Dome Station am Freighthouse Square eröffnet, wo das alte Lagerhaus der Milwaukee Road erhalten geblieben war. Bis 2012, mit Lakewood als zusätzliche Haltestelle, war die Sounder South Line nach Pierce County auf 10 Rundfahrten pro Tag (einschließlich fünf von der Lakewood Station) angewachsen, die alle 20 Minuten verkehrten und durchschnittlich 10.500 Fahrer an Wochentagen beförderten.

Raus mit dem Alten, rein mit dem Neuen

Die schnittigen S-Bahnen von Sounder verkehrten fast ausschließlich auf Gleisen, die schon länger als Sound Transit unterwegs waren, einschließlich des Einzelsets auf dem S-Curve Trestle. Als die Popularität des Bahnpendelns zunahm und die Anzahl der Züge und Fahrten zunahm, erforderte der Bock eine ständige Wartung und wurde zu einem Engpass für den Bahnverkehr. Im Jahr 2008 stimmten die Wähler einer Abstimmungsmaßnahme "Sound Transit 2" zu, die die Finanzierung eines neuen Bocks beinhaltete, der auf 62 Millionen US-Dollar (2014 US-Dollar) geschätzt wird. Ursprüngliche Pläne sahen vor, dass der Bau im Jahr 2023 erfolgen sollte, aber ein Zuschuss des US-Verkehrsministeriums in Höhe von 10 Millionen US-Dollar verlagerte den geschätzten Fertigstellungstermin auf 2017.

In einer im Dezember 2012 veröffentlichten Bewertung hat das staatliche Department of Archaeology and Historical Preservation festgestellt, dass der S-Curve Trestle für die Aufnahme in das National Register of Historic Places in Frage kommt, was mindestens zwei frühere Schlussfolgerungen umkehrt. Obwohl er seit 1937 umfangreich umgebaut wurde, behielt der Bock fast das gleiche Erscheinungsbild bei, und 2012 war sogar die große Renovierung von 1962 50 Jahre alt. Der Fund von historischer Bedeutung basierte auf der "Assoziation des Trestle mit den breiten Entwicklungs- und Wachstumsmustern der Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific und seiner Beziehung zur Unterstützung beim Warenverkehr von und nach Tacoma". Es wurde auch festgestellt, dass es "eine Ressource ist, die die charakteristischen Merkmale ihres Typs RR-Bock verkörpert und im Vergleich zu anderen ähnlichen Ressourcen im ganzen Staat von ungewöhnlichem Design ist" (Brief, Houser an Paul).

Trotz dieser Feststellung wurde der Bock weder nominiert noch gelistet. Der Erhalt des alten Bocks war wirtschaftlich und praktisch nicht machbar und 2014 begann die Planungsphase des Ersatzprojekts. Der historische S-Curve Trestle wurde 2017 abgerissen und bis Ende des Jahres als Ersatz, eine zweigleisige Eisenbahnbrücke, fertiggestellt.

Tacoma Rail Güterzug, S-Curve Trestle, Tacoma, 17. Juni 2006

Foto von Steve Carter, mit freundlicher Genehmigung von SteveCarterPhotography.com

Schalltransit Schallgeber S-Bahn, S-Kurve Trestle, Tacoma

Puyallup River Delta in der Bucht von Commencement, Mount Rainier in Ferne, Tacoma, Ca. 1885

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Washington Historical Society (2013.0.194)

Karte, Commencement Bay und Wattenmeer, frühe Entwicklung, Tacoma, 1888

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Küste und geodätischen Vermessung der Vereinigten Staaten

Frühe Entwicklung, Wattenmeer in der Commencement Bay, Tacoma, 1891

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Washington State Historical Society (2013.0.196)

Tacoma Handelskammer und Board of Trade Werbeanzeige für Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, Sonnenuntergang Magazin, 1908

Marker, letzte Spitze, Milwaukee Road Pacific Division, in der Nähe von Garrison, Montana, 19. Mai 1909

Höflichkeit Das Milwaukee Road Magazin

Japanische Arbeiter und Eisenbahnbeamte, Milwaukee Road "Last Spike" -Zeremonie, in der Nähe von Garrison, Montana, 19. Mai 1909

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Montana Historical Society

Milwaukee Road Frachthaus, Tacoma, 1909

Höflichkeit Bahn- und Schifffahrtsnachrichten

Reisezugwagen, Depot North Bend, Ca. 1910

Werbung, Milwaukee Road, Die Seattle Times, 27. Mai 1911

Old Milwaukee Road Passagierdepot (links), ehemals Tacoma Eastern Depot, 25. und A Straße, Tacoma, 2. Mai 1912

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Washington State Historical Society (2006.0.263)

Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Terminal Güterbahnhof, Tacoma, 1918

Foto von Asahel Curtis, mit freundlicher Genehmigung von UW Special Collections (CUR1379)

Milwaukee Road Depot, E 11th und Milwaukee Way, Tacoma, 1954

Höflichkeit Das Milwaukee Road Magazin

Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Seidenzug, Ca. 1921

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von MOHAI (1983.12.199.1)

Milwaukee Road Docks, Lagerhallen, Tacoma, Ca. 1936

Aufkleber, Milwaukee Road's olympisch Personenzug, Chicago nach Tacoma, ca. 1925

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Washington State Historical Society (2007.8.1)

Aufkleber, Milwaukee Road's Olympiasieger Hiawatha Personenzug, ca. 1947

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Washington State Historical Society (1997.1.237)

Das olympische Hiawatha-Plakat der Milwaukee Road, ca. 1952

Schalltransit Schallgeber S-Bahn, S-Kurve Trestle, Tacoma

Zeichnung, typischer Sechspfahl gebogen, S-Curve Trestle, Tacoma, 1981


Startbucht-class escort carrier

Die Commencement Bay-class escort aircraft carriers were the last class of escort carriers built for the US Navy in World War II.

  • 10,900 long tons (11,100 t) standard
  • 24,100 long tons (24,500 t) full load
  • 525 ft (160 m) wl
  • 557 ft 1 in (169.80 m) oa
  • 75 ft (23 m)
  • 105 ft 2 in (32.05 m) flight deck
  • 2 × 5"/38 caliber guns (1 × 2)
  • 36 × 40 mm Bofors gun (3 × 4, 12 × 2)
  • 20 × 20 mm Oerlikon cannons

The ships were based on the Maritime Commission type T3 Tanker hull, which gave them a displacement of approximately 23,000 tons and a length of 557 feet (170 m). Unlike most earlier escort carrier classes, which were laid down as something else and converted to aircraft carriers mid-construction, the Commencement Bays were built as carriers from the keel up. Their general layout was similar to the Sangamon-class escort carriers, but some of the Sangamon's engineering shortcomings were addressed.

They entered service late in World War II – USS Commencement Bay launched on 9 May 1944 – so most of them saw little or no operational service. Thirty-three of them were ordered but many were cancelled prior to completion. Nineteen saw commissioned service in the US Navy, four were broken up on the ways at the end of the war, two were accepted from the builders, but never commissioned and the remainder were cancelled before being laid down.

After the war they were seen as potential helicopter, anti-submarine, or auxiliary (transport) carriers, and a number of ships served in these roles during the Korean War. The oncoming jet age ended their careers, as the ships were no longer large enough to safely carry the much larger jet aircraft of the late 1950s, and all units were out of service or reclassified by 1960.


CVE-106 U.S.S. Commencement Bay - History

A bay of Puget Sound, near Tacoma, Wash.

(CVE 106 dp. 11,373 1. 677'1" b. 75' ew. 105'2"
DR. 32' s. 19 k. kpl. 1,066 a. 2 5" cl. Beginn
Bay)

Commencement Bay (CVE-106) was launched 9 May 1944 by Seattle Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash. sponsored by Mrs. F. Eves and commissioned 27 November, 1944, Captain R. L. Bowman in command.

Commencement Bay reported at Seattle 1 February 1945 for duty as a training ship in Puget Sound until 2 October. During this time she trained 545 officers and 5,053 men of precommissioning crews for sister escort carriers, and qualified 249 pilots of eight air groups in carrier takeoffs and landings. She sailed from Bremerton 21 October 1945, and arrived at Pearl Harbor 4 l November for training and to conduct carrier qualifications until sailing 27 November for Seattle and Tacoma.

After visits to Los Angeles and San Pedro, she returned to Tacoma 28 January, where she was placed out of commission in reserve 30 November 1946. She was reclassified CVHE-106, 12 June 1955 and AKV-37, 7 May 1959.


HistoryLink.org

On May 31, 1919, Pierce County voters approve the "comprehensive scheme" of development prepared for the newly formed Port of Tacoma by consulting engineer Frank J. Walsh. The Port, which was created in a November 1918 vote, will inaugurate shipping at its first pier on March 25, 1921. Over the next nine decades, the Port of Tacoma will become a leading container port, serving as a "Pacific Gateway" for trade between Asia and the central and eastern United States as well as the Northwest, and handling most of the maritime commerce between Alaska and the lower 48 states. With ample room to expand on the tideflats fronting the deep waters of Commencement Bay, the Port will develop multiple waterways accommodating the largest ocean-going cargo ships and will create efficient intermodal transportation connections between ships and road or rail, often right on the dock.

Second Try Succeeds

Longshoremen, business leaders, and politicians from Tacoma were prominent in the ranks of reformers who in 1911 won passage of Washington's Port District Act, authorizing local voters to form public port districts to acquire and improve harbor facilities necessary to retain and expand maritime trade and commerce. But a year later, when proponents placed on the November 1912 ballot a proposal to create a public Port of Tacoma encompassing all of Pierce County, the measure was narrowly defeated. City voters supported the proposal, but many rural residents feared that a port would only benefit urban businesses.

In 1918, as the Tacoma waterfront hummed with activity generated by World War I, port proponents tried again. W. H. Paulhamus, a state senator and president of the Puyallup and Sumner Fruit Growers' Canning Company, gained rural support by arguing that a public port could build a cold-storage building on the waterfront, making it easier for farmers to preserve and ship their produce. Steamship company executives and other businessmen advocated for the port measure, as did the Tacoma Daily Ledger and longshore union members.

This time voters across Pierce County were convinced and they approved creation of the Port of Tacoma on November 5, 1918. Edward Kloss, Charles W. Orton, and Chester Thorne were elected port commissioners. They hired engineer Frank J. Walsh to create the "comprehensive scheme of harbor improvement" that the Port District Act required. Under the law, county voters had to approve both the harbor plan and the bonds that the Port would have to sell to fund construction.

Planning and Building

Walsh prepared a plan for harbor development on 240 acres of land along the Middle Waterway, where he recommended that the port's first two piers be built. The port commission placed the plan, and a measure authorizing the sale of $2.5 million in bonds to fund it, on the ballot for May 31, 1919. Voters approved both measures by fairly wide margins. However, support for the port bonds was weaker outside Tacoma, and it was several days before it was clear that the bond measure had barely, by a few hundred votes, surpassed the required 60 percent threshold.

Construction began on March 25, 1920, and exactly one year later the Edmore arrived at the newly finished Pier 1 to take on the first cargo shipped from the Port of Tacoma. Port business grew so quickly that within a year the commissioners approved a 300-foot extension of Pier 1. By 1923 Pier 2 was completed. During the 1920s, the Port's cargo tonnage doubled. By the end of the decade, at least 25 steamship lines made regular stops in Tacoma.

The Port Commission worked throughout the decade to build the promised cold-storage plant that had helped persuade voters to approve the port. The plant opened in 1931. In the meantime, voters in 1928 approved a new port bond issue allowing construction of a grain elevator that began operation in 1930.

Depression and War

When the Depression hit Tacoma's waterfront, cargo tonnage dropped sharply. Tacoma's maritime commerce rebounded somewhat after Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945) became president. Roosevelt's New Deal reforms gave unions more clout than they previously had. When employers refused collective bargaining, longshore and other shipping-industry unions shut down ports on the entire West Coast in the great waterfront strike of 1934. Federal arbitration settled the strike in favor of the longshore union, creating the union hiring hall that still exists. Although significant, the hiring hall victory did not directly affect the Tacoma longshore locals, which were fully closed shop even before the strike, the only large longshore unions on the coast to enjoy that distinction.

The Depression slowed the Port's development until the 1939 state legislature gave public ports new powers to develop industrial sites. Port of Tacoma commissioners were among the first to take advantage of the new authority, setting up an Industrial Development District south of 11th Street between Hylebos Creek and Milwaukee Way. The Port began to recruit tenants, but World War II put the project on hold.

Like so much else, the Tacoma waterfront was largely given over to the military effort from 1942 to 1945. Thousands of troops from nearby Fort Lewis were dispatched to the Pacific theater from Port of Tacoma piers. Longshoremen were busier than during the Depression, but not all found full-time work, due in part to the fact that Seattle took the lion's share of the region's army and navy business. Increased mechanization on the docks also reduced the number of longshore workers needed, as the military spent freely on new equipment like forklifts and larger cranes.

A Key Advantage

After the war ended in 1945, the Port, like the rest of the country, faced a rocky transition back to a civilian economy. With the massive war mobilization over, waterfront manufacturing declined sharply. Maritime trade fell by 90 percent in 1946, to well below pre-war levels. The Port of Tacoma Commission responded to the nationwide downturn by renewing its interrupted efforts to attract manufacturers to the Industrial Development District it had established before the war. But even after Purex, Concrete Technology, Stauffer Chemical, and Western Boat Building all set up shop in the Industrial District, the port had not returned to pre-war business levels.

In the early 1950s, the commissioners embarked on further improvements to attract more development. They dredged the Industrial Waterway, located on the tideflats between the Puyallup River and Hylebos Creek and Waterway, to accomodate larger ships. In 1955, the commission hired Tibbetts-Abbett-McCarthy-Stratton (TAMS) to prepare a detailed comprehensive plan for future port development. The study proposed making maximizing a key competitive advantage: The Port of Tacoma's significant acreage on the deep waters of Commencement Bay was one of the few locations in Puget Sound where industry had direct access to deep water. The TAMS plan called for the Port to extend and widen the Industrial (later Blair) Waterway and Hylebos Waterway and construct ship-turning basins adjacent to the Industrial District at the ends of the lengthened waterways.

Mechanization and Modernization

In 1957, Tacoma longshore workers ended a 20-year rift by voting to affiliate with the International Longshoremen’s and Warehousemen’s Union (ILWU), headed by Harry Bridges (1901-1990). As ILWU members, Tacoma workers were parties to the Mechanization and Modernization Agreement that Bridges and the ILWU negotiated with West Coast shipping and stevedoring management. The agreement gave employers freedom to introduce both "mechanization" (labor-saving machinery) and "modernization" (work rules requiring greater efficiency) in return for a commitment of no layoffs and a guaranteed 35 hours of work (or pay) per week.

The agreement opened the way for employers to take advantage of two new, more efficient cargo-loading methods being developed during the 1950s. Bulk ships carrying large cargos of loose material like grain or ore were loaded and unloaded by large hoses that sucked or blew the material from ship to storage or vice versa. Container ships allowed most other cargo to be loaded into a large box (20 or 40 feet long) at the factory or warehouse, hauled by truck or train to the dock, and lifted aboard ship by crane.

Bulk and container ships were not yet common on the Tacoma waterfront when the agreement was ratified in 1961, but signs of change at the port were clear as dredging cranes and landfill reshaped the tideflats while warehouses and manufacturing shops were constructed for newly arriving businesses. Kaiser Aluminum reopened the aluminum smelter it had originally constructed on the tideflats in 1941.

New Leadership

In 1964, the port commission hired Ernest L. "Roy" Perry as general manager. He served until 1976, completing the expansion of the Blair and Hylebos Waterways called for in the TAMS plan and bringing the Port of Tacoma into the container age. The Port built new warehouses and piers for container cargo at Terminal 4 near the mouth of Blair Waterway and at Terminal 7 on Sitcum Waterway. The Port of Tacoma entered the container business in 1970, when the first container crane was built at Terminal 7.

Two prominent alumina domes -- sometimes termed the "original Tacoma domes" -- were also built at Terminal 7, to store ore for use at the Kaiser smelter. Pierce County Terminal was constructed at the head of Blair Waterway, where large amounts of storage space allowed the terminal to handle special cargo like locomotives, military equipment, and logs the terminal also served as the first major center for the growing number of automobiles imported from Asia through Tacoma.

In 1968 Perry increased the Port's investment in industrial property by acquiring 500 acres in Frederickson, an unincorporated area of Pierce County 13 miles south of the port's Commencement Bay terminals. Over the years Frederickson has developed as a major industrial center.

During the 1970s, Tacoma continued to be a major exporter of forest products, as it had been since its founding. Two new export facilities were built in 1972 and 1973: Blair Terminal, with two berths for log exports, was followed by Weyerhaeuser's $4.5 million, 25-acre wood-chip facility on Blair Waterway. In 1975, the Port significantly increased its capacity to handle another leading export, grain, by building the Continental Grain Terminal, with a capacity of three million bushels, on Commencement Bay north of downtown Tacoma.

Rapid Growth

Worldwide trade increased at record rates in the 1970s, much faster than its growth in prior decades. Growth was particularly rapid at the Port of Tacoma, much of it in trade with Pacific Rim countries, whose share of Washington state trade rose steadily. After 1979, when the 30-year American trade embargo was lifted, the People's Republic of China joined Japan, Taiwan, and Korea as major trading partners for the Port of Tacoma. By 1982, the Port had tripled tonnage moved and quadrupled revenues over the levels of a decade earlier.

The Port of Tacoma's domestic trade also increased exponentially in the 1970s. Local 23 longshoremen worked with Port management to convince Totem Ocean Trailer Express (TOTE), a leading shipper to Alaska, to move its operations from Seattle to Tacoma. TOTE's first ship began calling at Terminal 7 in 1976 and the company added a second vessel in 1977.

The Port of Tacoma helped pioneer a new phase in trade and transportation history in 1981 when it opened its North Intermodal Yard, the first dockside railyard on the West Coast, located on the main port peninsula between the docks of Terminal 7 on Sitcum Waterway and Terminal 4 on Blair Waterway. The success of the Port's pioneering intermodal connection led to expansions and upgrades of the North Intermodal Yard throughout the 1980s. The Port also opened the South Intermodal Yard, immediately across E 11th Street from Sitcum Waterway, and the new intermodal connections helped fuel the Port of Tacoma's rapid growth during the 1980s. In subsequent decades, the Port built new dockside intermodal yards in conjunction with two new terminal projects, Washington United Terminals and Pierce County Terminal.

New Arrivals

After the giant container line Sea-Land announced in 1983 that it would move from Seattle to Tacoma, the Port designed and built the $44 million Sea-Land Terminal on Sitcum Waterway, and constructed a new terminal for TOTE's Alaska service to make room for the Sea-Land container terminal. Within weeks after Sea-Land's first ship docked in 1985, another large container shipping company, the Danish line Maersk, arrived. (In 1999, Maersk bought Sea-Land's international shipping business, creating Maersk Sealand, the world's largest container shipping operation, which remained a major shipper from Tacoma until moving to Seattle in 2009.)

In 1988, K Line, from Japan, became the third large container line in three years to begin serving Tacoma. The additional container ships brought further growth to the Port's intermodal yards. In 1987, the old United Grain Terminal, one of the Port's earliest projects (which closed after the larger Continental Grain facility opened), was demolished to allow expansion of the North Intermodal Yard to handle the increase in container traffic K Line would bring.

The Port continued to grow as the 1990s opened. In 1991, another major container shipper, Taiwan's Evergreen Line, began serving the Port's Terminal 4. The new arrival helped the port reach the one-million-container mark that year for the first time in its history. Before the Port could develop the upper Blair Waterway to handle the increasing number of cargo ships, a replacement had to be found for the Blair Bridge, which carried E 11th Street over the waterway. The drawbridge opening of 150 feet, more than adequate when the bridge was built in the 1950s, was too small for the giant container ships of the late twentieth century. In 1997, the replacement route via State Route 509 was opened, allowing the Blair Bridge to be removed and unlocking the upper Blair Waterway for development.

That same year Hyundai Merchant Marine entered a 30-year lease for the first container terminal to be built on the upper Blair Waterway. Opened in 1999 and named Washington United Terminals (WUT), the facility included the Hyundai Intermodal Yard. Container volumes set records in four of the next seven years, increasing by 62 percent overall.

Transition and Progress

The Tacoma tideflats' transition away from large manufacturing continued as the Kaiser Aluminum smelter, which had at its peak employed hundreds of workers, closed in 2000 due to increasing power costs and the effects of a long strike. Although the loss of jobs hurt the local economy at the time, the 96-acre Kaiser property soon became a key part of the Port's future development plans.

The attacks that occurred on September 11 had lasting effects on the Port as on the rest of the world. Beginning in 2002, the Port of Tacoma, along with other ports in Puget Sound and around the country, received federal grants to test and upgrade security at the ports and to improve "supply chain security" from the point of origin abroad to the final U.S. destination.

The Port's plans for expansion on upper Blair Waterway received a major boost in 2003, when Evergreen Line agreed to lease a new container terminal to be built at the head of the waterway, replacing the old Pierce County Terminal that had handled bulk cargo. Until then, some container shippers had doubts about the accessibility of the two-mile-long waterway, but with Evergreen in place others soon expressed interest. The new 171-acre, $210 million Pierce County Terminal and Intermodal Yard, which the Port built for Evergreen over the next two years, was the largest construction project in Port history.

In October 2003, the Port opened the $40 million, 146.5-acre Marshall Avenue Auto Facility, which could store and process nearly 20,000 vehicles at a time. Two months later, the one-millionth Mazda imported through the port drove off a transport ship at Blair Terminal and made its way to the Marshall Avenue facility.

The year 2005 brought a chain reaction of new terminal openings. In January, Evergreen Line moved to the newly opened Pierce County Terminal. In July, the new Husky Terminal, at Evergreen's former Terminal 4 location, doubled the presence of K Line at Tacoma. And in October, the Port completed the Olympic Container Terminal, an expansion of K Line's prior home at Terminal 7.

Facing the Future

The three new terminals, and continued increases in imports from Asia, especially China, led to two more record-setting years: volume topped two million containers for the first time in 2005 and rose further to set an all-time record in 2006. After that, Tacoma's container volumes declined, with the sharpest drop being from 2008 to 2009, as world-wide cargo traffic slumped due to the recession following the collapse of the U.S. housing bubble. The economic downturn also caused the Port to put some plans for expansion on hold. In 2007, when the Port and NYK Line of Japan entered an agreement for NYK to begin service to Tacoma in 2012, the plan was to construct a new container terminal on the east side of Blair Waterway. Those plans were altered and now call for NYK ships to use an existing terminal when they begin calling in 2012. By late 2010 and the start of 2011, container traffic appeared to be rebounding, as existing shippers increased service, with K Line bringing new, larger ships to Tacoma and Evergreen resuming routes it had suspended during the downturn.

Meanwhile, the Port continued to plan for the future. As it readied property for development when the economy improved, the Port proceeded with major environmental projects, including clean up of former industrial sites and wetland restoration along its waterways, planning to spend nearly $40 million by 2015. In 2010, the Port of Tacoma became the first in the Pacific Northwest to provide shore power for cargo vessels. The shore power plug installation at the TOTE terminal allows TOTE cargo ships to shut off their diesel engines while docked, reducing emissions by as much as 90 percent.

More than 90 years after its creation by the voters of Pierce County, the Port of Tacoma continues to transform the landscape of Commencement Bay and the economy of the region and to play a major role in international and domestic trade.

Washington Public Ports Association

Longshore strade drivers, Port of Tacoma

Map of Port of Tacoma showing Port's terminals, intermodal yards, and waterways (from left: Puyallup River, Sitcum Waterway, Blair Waterway, and Hylebos Waterway with aquatic habitat to right), Tacoma, ca. 2008

Edward Kloss, Charles W. Orton, and Chester Thorne, first Port of Tacoma Commissioners, 1918

Frank J. Walsh Master Plan for Port of Tacoma, 1918

Pacific Coast Steamship Company's Edmore, first ship to call at Port of Tacoma, March 25, 1921

United Grain Terminal (foreground) and cold storage facility (background), Port of Tacoma, 1930s

Todd-Pacific Shipyard (center), and Port of Tacoma piers (upper left), Commencement Bay, 1940s

Dredging Blair Waterway, Port of Tacoma, Tacoma, 1966

Totem Ocean Trailer Express "roll on/ roll off" vessel serving Alaska, docked at Terminal 7, Port of Tacoma, ca. 1977

Bulk vessel loading grain at Cargill Continental Grain Terminal, Port of Tacoma

Die Sonnenaufgang delivers two Hitachi container cranes for Sea-Land's Port of Tacoma terminal, December 1984

Dredging for construction of Port of Tacoma's Pierce County Terminal, Tacoma, December 18, 2002

First Evergreen Marine Corporation ship to call at new Pierce County Terminal, Port of Tacoma, December 22, 2004

Die Yang Ming Heights berthed at Olympic Container Terminal, Port of Tacoma, ca. 2005


Puget Sound Wastewater Carries Emerging Contaminants

A new study of emerging contaminants entering Puget Sound in wastewater plant effluent found some of the nation’s highest concentrations of these chemical compounds, and detected many in fish at concentrations that may affect their growth or behavior.

The study by scientists from NOAA Fisheries’ Northwest Fisheries Science Center and the University of Washington tested for 150 of the contaminants and detected 81 of the compounds in wastewater flowing into Puget Sound estuaries. They include pharmaceuticals such as the antidepressant Prozac and the diabetes medication metformin, personal care products such as antibacterial compounds from soap and industrial chemicals.

The study also examined juvenile Chinook salmon and Pacific staghorn sculpin, both fish native to Puget Sound, and found 42 of the emerging compounds in their tissue. Some of the compounds such as fluoxetine (also known as Prozac), the diabetes drug metformin and the antibacterial compound triclosan were present in fish tissues at levels that may be high enough to adversely affect their growth, reproduction, or behavior.

“There’s also the problem of not knowing how these chemicals act in fish when they are found together as a mixture,” said James Meador, a NOAA Fisheries research scientist and lead author of the research published this week in the journal Environmental Pollution. “Mixtures such as these may result in responses that occur at lower concentrations than single compounds alone.”

The research did not examine the potential effects on human health of consuming fish from Puget Sound, and it is unknown if these levels of emerging contaminants detected in fish could affect people.

The study funded in large part by the Washington Department of Ecology examined wastewater plant effluent, estuary water, and fish found in the Puyallup River estuary in Tacoma’s Commencement Bay, Sinclair Inlet in Bremerton, and the Nisqually River estuary near Tacoma. The Nisqually estuary was included as a reference site because it does not have a major wastewater treatment plant and has been used historically as a reference site for toxicity studies. Unexpectedly, they found that fish and water in the Nisqually estuary also contained high concentrations of some emerging compounds.

The study also noted that the relatively high pH of seawater often makes the contaminants more bioavailable and therefore more likely to be absorbed by marine fish compared to fish in freshwater, Meador said.

The researchers noted that since the two major wastewater treatment plants they examined in the Puyallup and Sinclair Inlet discharged a total of 71 million liters per day, “it is possible that a substantial load of potentially harmful chemicals are introduced into streams and nearshore marine waters daily.” If the two wastewater plants sampled in the study are representative of others around Puget Sound, the researchers calculated that nearly 300 pounds of the emerging contaminants likely enter Puget Sound every day.

“When you add it all up, you get millions of gallons of effluent discharging into these estuaries,” Meador said. “This is right in the area where juvenile salmon and other fish are feeding and growing.”


Our Newsletter

Product Description

USS Commencement Bay CVE 105

"The Bay Wake"

World War II Cruise Book

Bring the Cruise Book to Life with this Multimedia Presentation

This CD will Exceed your Expectations

Ein großer Teil der Marinegeschichte.

You would be purchasing the USS Commencement Bay cruise book during World War II. Each page has been placed on a CD for years of enjoyable computer viewing. Die CD comes in a plastic sleeve with a custom label. Every page has been enhanced and is readable. Rare cruise books like this sell for a hundred dollars or more when buying the actual hard copy if you can find one for sale.

This would make a great gift for yourself or someone you know who may have served aboard her. Usually only ONE person in the family has the original book. The CD makes it possible for other family members to have a copy also. You will not be disappointed we guarantee it.

Some of the items in this book are as follows:

  • Commissioning 1944
  • Shakedown training
  • Navy Day
  • San Pedro Pearl Harbor Tacoma
  • Group Photos all Divisions and air groups
  • Sports and recreation
  • Shipboard entertainment
  • Ships picnics and parties
  • Liberty Call

Over 210 Photos on 79 Pages.

Once you view this CD you will know what life was like on this Escort Aircraft Carrier during World War II.

Additional Bonus:

  • 22 Minute Audio " American Radio Mobilizes the Homefront " WWII (National Archives)
  • 22 Minute Audio " Allied Turncoats Broadcast for the Axis Powers " WWII (National Archives)
  • 6 Minute Audio of " Sounds of Boot Camp " in the late 50's early 60's
  • Other Interesting Items Include:
    • The Oath of Enlistment
    • The Sailors Creed
    • Core Values of the United States Navy
    • Military Code of Conduct
    • Navy Terminology Origins (8 Pages)
    • Examples: Scuttlebutt, Chewing the Fat, Devil to Pay,
    • Hunky-Dory and many more.

    Warum eine CD statt eines gedruckten Buches?

    • The pictures will not be degraded over time.
    • Self contained CD no software to load.
    • Thumbnails, table of contents and index for easy viewing reference.
    • View as a digital flip book or watch a slide show. (You set the timing options)
    • Back ground patriotic music and Navy sounds can be turned on or off.
    • Viewing options are described in the help section.
    • Bookmark your favorite pages.
    • The quality on your screen may be better than a hard copy with the ability to magnify any page.
    • Full page viewing slide show that you control with arrow keys or mouse.
    • Designed to work on a Microsoft platform. (Not Apple or Mac) Will work with Windows 98 or above.

    Personal Comment from "Navyboy63"

    The cruise book CD is a great inexpensive way of preserving historical family heritage for yourself, children or grand children especially if you or a loved one has served aboard the ship. It is a way to get connected with the past especially if you no longer have the human connection.

    If your loved one is still with us, they might consider this to be a priceless gift. Statistics show that only 25-35% of sailors purchased their own cruise book. Many probably wished they would have. It's a nice way to show them that you care about their past and appreciate the sacrifice they and many others made for you and the FREEDOM of our country. Would also be great for school research projects or just self interest in World War II documentation.

    We never knew what life was like for a sailor in World War II until we started taking an interest in these great books. We found pictures which we never knew existed of a relative who served on the USS Essex CV 9 during World War II. He passed away at a very young age and we never got a chance to hear many of his stories. Somehow by viewing his cruise book which we never saw until recently has reconnected the family with his legacy and Naval heritage. Even if we did not find the pictures in the cruise book it was a great way to see what life was like for him. We now consider these to be family treasures. His children, grand children and great grand children can always be connected to him in some small way which they can be proud of. This is what motivates and drives us to do the research and development of these great cruise books. I hope you can experience the same thing for your family.

    If you have any questions please send us an E-mail prior to purchasing.

    Buyer pays shipping and handling. Shipping charges outside the US will vary by location.

    Check our feedback. Customers who have purchased these CD's have been very pleased with the product.

    Be sure to add us to your !

    Thanks for your Interest!


    Powered by
    The free listing tool. List your items fast and easy and manage your active items.

    This CD is for your personal use only

    Copyright © 2003-2010 Great Naval Images LLC. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.


    FOLLOWUP: One more delay for SW Yancy reopening

    June 18, 2021 4:54 pm
    | 5 COMMENTS
    | West Seattle news | West Seattle traffic alerts

    The long-closed stretch of SW Yancy Street near the West Seattle Health Club will not reopen tomorrow as most recently promised. Word from Transitional Resources, the nearby nonprofit whose supportive-housing project is the reason for the closure: “The concrete is all poured on Yancy Street, but the City Inspector is not allowing the road to open until Tuesday.” It has been closed for almost three months initial word was that the road work mostly involved drainage improvements.


    CVE-106 U.S.S. Commencement Bay - History

    (Celebrating 16 Years in Business)

    (Not just a photo or poster but a work of art!)

    These reproduction prints represent various time periods and themes. Many are vintage WWII prints.

    Print size is 8"x10" ready for framing. The matte is printed right on the canvas. You can frame as shown or add your own matte. These canvas prints are made to order. They usually ship within two days of order placement.

    This would make a nice gift and a great addition to any collection or Navy memory. Would be fantastic for decorating the home or office wall.

    The watermark "Sample Print" will NOT be on your print.

    This image is printed on Archival-Safe Acid-Free canvas using a high resolution printer and should last many years. It is also sprayed with a clear UV finish for extra protection.

    Canvas offers a special and distinctive look. The canvas print does not need glass thereby enhancing the appearance of your print by eliminating glare.

    We guarantee you will not be disappointed with this item or your money back. In addition, we will replace the canvas print unconditionally if you damage your print. You would only be charged for shipping and handling plus $5.00.

    ****WE SHIP WITHIN 24 HOURS OF PAYMENT****

    Navy Heritage
    Merchant Marines
    Build Fight in the Seabees
    Cadets for Naval Aviation
    Wish I could Join Waves
    Sub Spotted Let Em Have It
    Submarine Service
    Become a Nurse
    Don't Let Me Down
    Sailor and his Girl
    Because Someone Talked
    Be a Marine Free a Marine
    Admiral Halsey
    Join Navy Free World
    American Fighting Forces
    Fight Lets Go! Join Navy
    Don't Read History Make It
    US Naval Aviation
    Coast Guard Men
    Navy Day October 27th
    Travel Navy USS Miller
    Old Salt of the Sixth Fleet
    Become a Naval Officer
    Remember December 7th
    Tough Job Still Ahead
    Viet Nam Who Served
    Spearhead of Victory
    Avenge December 7th
    Sub Clear for Action
    He's Getting Signal Are You?
    Girl He Left Behind. Shes a Wow
    We Can Do It!
    Let's Hit Em
    Philadelphia Navy Birthplace
    US Marines First to Fight
    America Fights for Liberty
    Peace Through Strength
    Corsairs Billboard Sign
    The Kill
    Spider and The Fly
    MacArthur Returns
    Old Salts 1880's
    Seabees Build and Fight
    I Want You Now
    Young Men Wanted (1908)
    Wish I Were a Man

    Copyright © 2003-2016 Great Naval Images LLC. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

    Great Naval Images LLC

    NTC San Diego 1955-377 Anchor NTC San Diego 1956-326 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1957-120 Anchor NTC San Diego 1957-318 Anchor NTC San Diego 1958-181 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1959-062 Anchor NTC San Diego 1959-572 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1960-388 Anchor NTC San Diego 1961-028 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1961-364 Anchor NTC San Diego 1962-298 Anchor NTC San Diego 1962-416 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1962-464 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-056 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-177 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1963-242 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-363 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-520 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1963-523 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-565 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-039 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1964-124 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-205 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-224 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1964-315 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-381 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-426 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1965-300 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1965-306 Anchor NTC San Diego 1965-307 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1965-910 Anchor NTC San Diego 1966-291 Anchor NTC San Diego 1966-446 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1966-710 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-165 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-254 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1967-391 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-634 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-720 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1968-103 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-135 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-507 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1968-564 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-771 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-775 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1968-783 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-137 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-198 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1969-423 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-468 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-500 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1969-592 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1970-020 Anchor NTC San Diego 1970-068 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1970-133 Anchor NTC San Diego 1970-274 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1971-036 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1971-417 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1971-916 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-319 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1972-268 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-338 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-371 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1972-945 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-124 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-149 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1973-238 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-248 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-093 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1974-167 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-235 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-390 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1974-804 Anchor NTC San Diego 1975-157 Anchor NTC San Diego 1975-922 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1976-124 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1976-139 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1976-168 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1976-238 Anchor NTC San Diego 1976-326 Anchor NTC San Diego 1977-055 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1977-276 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1978-073 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1978-197 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1979-072 Anchor NTC San Diego 1979-130 Anchor NTC San Diego 1979-179 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1979-194 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1980-028 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-036 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-055 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-069 Anchor NTC San Diego 1980-102 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-156 Anchor NTC San Diego 1980-227 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-073 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-137 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-148 Anchor NTC San Diego 1981-273 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-282 Anchor NTC San Diego 1982-935 Anchor NTC San Diego 1983-207 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1984-019 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-243 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-920 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1984-947 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-949 Anchor NTC San Diego 1985-034 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1985-236 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-132 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-061 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1986-133 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-171 Anchor NTC San Diego 1987-081 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1987-219 Anchor NTC San Diego 1987-933 Anchor NTC San Diego 1988-009 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1988-165 Anchor NTC San Diego 1989-067 Anchor



Bemerkungen:

  1. Mathew

    Worte sind größer!

  2. Borre

    Akzeptiere die schlechte Rückkehr.

  3. Goltizshura

    Das ist eine lustige Nachricht



Eine Nachricht schreiben